Not sure even when this day started. It was on a plane anyway! We got on a KLM plane for the short 2 hr flight to Bergen, Norway. They still served us a 'snack', which really constituted a meal for me. A sandwich made with linseed breed (organic) and Beemster cheese made in the Netherlands. I picked the tiny coke (150ml) for a quick pick-me-up since we were surviving on little sleep.Yummy sandwich!
Bergen was cold and rainy - a lot like Minnesota when we left! But the scenery was very different. All our bags made it (thankfully) and we were met at baggage clain by representatives from Viking Cruises. All aboard the bus to make it to the dock and the ship!
Bergen was founded in 1070 on the site of a Viking settlement and was the capital of the Kingdom of Norway during medieval times. The cobblestone streets, the older houses with tile roofs, all sitting between the peaks makes Bergen a beuatiful harbor. There is a historic Bryggen Wharf and a local fish market. There isn't time to see it all! Jacky will be exploring Bergen on foot tomorrow but I hope to also be able to see more of it up close.
Our ship, the Viking Star
Can you believe it? As we stepped foot onto our home for the next 2 weeks, we were handed a celebratory glass of white wine. Now THAT'S the way to welcome someone on board!
We were worried about Jacky's brother Allen and his wife, Carolyn. They were flying here from Dallas, Texas and were supposed to get here before we did. But they never did check in. Allen wouldn't answer his phone either so Lee (Jacky's sister) did some frantic searching and found out their airplane in England had been overbooked. Over 40 people who were supposed to be here today were stuck in England! Finally, right as we were going to bed, Lee said their plane is supposed to arrive in Bergen tomorrow morning at 10:55.
We went up to the restaurant called "The World Cafe" for supper. With a name like that, I was eager to try it out. Our daily paper, called the "Viking Daily" which gives us all information for the following day's activities and excursions, said they were having a fresh seafood buffet. My mother and I were like, "Get out of my way! here I come!". I must say it exceeded all my expectations.
There were mussels cooked in white wine and garlic, sauteed sea bass (possibly the best fish I've ever had), some kind of flat buckwheat bread that he put a tablespoon of caviar, or fish roe, on and topped with sour cream and chives. I did not try the shrimp, the crab legs, the chicken, potatoes..( do you see where I'm going with this?). I did however try a few of their dessert items - all very european. Jacky, or course, had chocolate gelato. Oh yes, there's free house wine with the meal too! :-)
View of room with our own balcony!


No comments:
Post a Comment